Sunday, May 06, 2012

More Flappers











During the "Roaring Twenties" shocking behavior was more interesting to the American public than moral behavior. Stories of the evil effects of jazz, the horrors of cocaine, the corrupt lives of movie stars, and the shocking behavior of Americans in Paris were guaranteed to sell newspapers.
We look back at thigh-high skirts, hip-pocket flasks, jazzy music, and flappers dancing the Charleston; kicking higher than mama would allow. Libby Holman sang "Moaning Low" and Bessie Smith sang about needing "a little sugar in my bowl, need a little hot dog for my roll." All over America it was bootleg scotch and bathtub gin; it was learning to kiss in the silent movies with the Sheik of Araby. And the cool singer said, "In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking. Now, heaven knows, anything goes."
Michael Reynolds, "Hemingway, The Paris Years"
Pin It

11 comments:

Abe Lucas said...

I don't think people in recent decades realize how the 1920s were the first truly modern decade and influences everything they take for granted today--including all that delightful debauchery! ;)

Glad to see you're posting more frequently, Paul (just the one post in 2010 nearly killed me!)

Nikon said...

Hello C.K., you're right (as always)!
Who'd have known that all of that debauchery could have happened in the USA that far back - and then vanished?

Soulful Mama said...

How delightfully glamorous the 20's were! Sigh...

~ Clare x

Nikon said...

I know, Clare, I love the vintage art that I found to illustrate this post.

AVY said...

Lovely times.


/Avy

http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

Nikon said...

Thank you for the visit, Avy.

Kate said...

Wonderful vintage photos and great commentary.

Nikon said...

Thank you, Kate!

Nikon said...

Yea, I like that shot, too!
My favorite is the top one - the magazine cover - I just like the colors :)

~Sarah~ said...

I always love reading your blog. It's always so much fun to read more about Hemingway. LOVE the images as well.

Nikon said...

Thank you Sarah!